Thursday, March 18, 2010

Shoot, a shoot!

Days in the Ground

Lettuce 45
Potatoes 18
Carrots 18
Onions 18
Peas 4
Nasturtiums 4

I wasn't really expecting it, but one of the potatoes had a shoot when I went out there today to check on them.  I never saw it (I guess it was there yesterday or the day before), but I hope that doesn't mean it has "greened" making it toxic to eat.  You see, I put the potato seeds in the dead-middle of the square, on my square foot garden.  How was I to know nature would not perfectly agree with everything I was doing, and would send a shoot 6" away, completely unforeseen?!

So, I've attached a pic; let me know what you all think - after taking this picture I shoveled lots more soil on top of it.  Also, as you can see in the picture, the shoot was not in the sunlight (though it might have been, in the morning).


By the way, the shoot in the picture is already under some soil.  When I went out there, it was sticking out of the soil by about 2-3 inches. 

Another thing I did, yesterday, was to consolidate & move the compost bins out of the gardening area.  Not only was it a bit cramped, but they were a major enabler of the evil bugs which eat my sprouts.  Over out of the way now, they're free to munch on whatever the heck they want.  I kind of wish they would start by eating the weeds in the yard, though.



Oh, and one more thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment