Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Feathers will fly...

Before I dive into the feather pluckers, I need to show you all what my trellises look like from the last blog post.



Not too shabby huh!?

ALRIGHT, the main event.  Let's talk about pulling feathers.

This would be nice to have, if you plan on de-feathering chickens. 



Unfortunately, I don't have money growing the garden, though I tried, and now I'm short $14. 

I did see a link to a much simpler, much cheaper version of the item above.  So here is an in-depth how-to on how to build your own.  Do they work?  I assume so, but I'll have to update that in a few weeks.

Here are some parts I bought to make it

 
(This is a 2" PVC End Cap, a 3/8" bolt, 2 washers, a 3/8" nut, and lock washer)

I also bought 2 long rubber bungee-cords.   To maximize the amount of rubber "fingers" I could cut, I created this design:



It's basically 2 "L's" that are inverted.  You'll need extremely sharp and powerful shears - I used Sheet Metal shears. 

So, I drilled a 3/8" hole (actually 25/64") hole in the top of the end-cap, in dead center. 



I then drilled several 3/8" holes all around the outside of the end cap.  I stuck the rubber fingers through the holes, so the "nub" is on the inside.  This will keep the rubber fingers from flying out.



The finished product:



Well, that was great and all, but it wasn't enough for me :-D  To be honest, it's fairly tiny.  I needed it, yes, to get in the nooks & crannies of the chicken - the hard to reach feathers.  But to use that for all the feathers would take a while.  So I decided I would make a much larger one as well.  This one will be used for removing a bulk amount of feathers quickly.

I drilled a pilot hole in the 6" PVC Drain Cap.



I built a wooden jig to keep it from moving around.



Other than that, the process is pretty much the same.



And now....for the best picture of them all....

You see, I couldn't just leave these as is.  They were far too cool and dangerous (alright not really, I tested it on myself, haha) to just be left as is.  They needed an awesome name.



I give you.....drumroll.......the Clucker Plucker 2000 and the Clucker Plucker 6000!

No comments:

Post a Comment