Sunday, March 27, 2011

Some questions & tips

Feel free to answer any of these questions, if you know the answer.  I have a feeling on what to do, for some of them, but who knows - I've definitely been wrong before!

1)  It would be nice if everything sprouted on the same day, grew & bloomed at the same rate, and was ready to harvest on the same day.  Unfortunately that is not the case, at all.  I have some potato plants that are barely peeking through the mulch (~0.5") and some which are over 6" tall and HUGE.  According to my Gardening Guide (the best vegetable book ever written for Texans), I need to "dirt" the plants once they reach 5-6", with 3-4" of dirt thrown on the base of the plant.  Like I said above, though, I may have one plant at 6" tall next to a tiny sprout.  I've just started dirting the ones that are growing strong, and go back later over the ones which are lagging behind.  It will be interesting, because there's only so much dirt to be thrown on top, lol.

2) The question that I seem to never get a straight answer on: If I'm planting in a ridge-and-furrow style, which I am for cucumbers, corn, beans, strawberries, and potatoes, where would you put the soaker-hose for watering?  I've heard to lay it in the furrow, because it encourages the roots to grow down, and become stronger.  I've questioned these people, as to how the seedling would get water to sprout, and how the roots would reach down (about 4-6") to even reach the water?  I never can get a straight answer.

3) Here's a tip - potatoes can be grown in rows 2 feet apart, but that is probably about the limit if you plan on dirting the plants. 

4) Hey, let's throw a random one in here...does anyone know how to keep chicken from drying out when cooking stir-fry, or in a crock-pot? 

5) Though I don't have any pictures yet, I'll be sure to get some.  I'm using 4 (or 6 if I can find another) T-posts and some binding wire, to make a growing trellis for my beans.  Simply put a post at each end of the row (and more in-between if you have very long rows), and tie the binding wire between them.  Add a turnbuckle on one end if the wires start to sag...I don't really know if the binding wire will sag or not, but I imagine (like most things) it will a little.  That will just have to be a trial & error deal.

Other than that, the garden is growing VERY well so far!  Almost all the beans sprouted yesterday, the potatoes are still huge, and the strawberries are taking off.  The peppers have been planted, with some more to plant later.  Corn still hasn't sprouted, but it's been so dry, I don't really expect them to until the middle of this week.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment