Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Frustating!

Apparently, one is supposed to plant blackberries, raspberries, and strawberries in mid-Autumn - not Spring.  So, because I didn't do enough research (which is very uncharacteristic), I likely will not be able to plant these items.  I have the room, but because I have laid down all the manure, I am fairly certain it will kill the plants, if planted.  In addition, I didn't order from www.noursefarms.com so I will have to buy them locally. 

It's not a terribly big deal, it's just that I set all that room aside for the delicious fruit I hoped to be eating next summer.  And now, it looks like I'll have none of that.  But the room has already been set aside, so I'll put something there in the spring. 


In other news, I took a huge leap of faith, and spoke with my neighbor about borrowing her land for some poultry production.  After several days (seemed like months), she responded and said she wasn't interested.  But it was worth a shot.  One little motto, if you will, that I've been going by lately is this:

“We must walk consciously only part way toward our goal, and then leap in the dark to our success.”

Henry David Thoreau

  

2 comments:

  1. I liked the quote very much! Thanks for sharing.
    I don't know if I wouldnt give a couple plants a shot just to see how it goes. As impatient as I am... I know thats exactly what I would do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just happened upon your blog. We didn't do well with our blueberry bushes either. 2nd year in a row we have failed :( Hoping next year will be "the year". Loved the quote by the way.

    ReplyDelete