Sunday, November 1, 2009

How to look crazy, steps 1 and 2

So the other day, I was driving home and I called my sister
"Hey, I have a strange question"
sis: "umm, okay, what is it?"
"You know how you have a rabbit you're raising for FFA?"
sis: "yea?"
"Can I have it's poop?"
...silence...
sis: "what!?!???"
"It's for my compost pile!"

lol, so that was one strange conversation. Then, I got off the phone, and pulled into my driveway. Across the street, the house that is still empty had a crew working on the landscaping. I hesitated for a sec, then ran across the street. I asked him if he was just going to throw that grass away. He looked at me like I was insane for a minute, and said yes. I asked him if I could keep a bag of it. Now he was SURE I was certifiably insane...but, he said sure. I grabbed it (WOW that was a heavy bag) and ran back across the street.

^^ above is a post, shortened a tad, I made on the CAF Locals website. ^^

So here are a few pics of my recycle bin area. I got inspired from a TV show about a couple who recycles a lot of stuff they have laying around, and turns it into useful things. I thought I would try the same, so here's what I've got.

Compost bin - a large tub which originally contained grain or minerals for cattle. Got it for free from my grandpa.
Rotation bar - I was throwing out an old broken lamp, when it occured to me it was really just a bunch of pieces screwed together. I have turned that lamp into about 4 things now.
Frame - Just some spare wood pieces I had from random projects.

From Blog Photos


From Blog Photos

So far we have composted the following items from around the house.
Bell Peppers
Bananas
Shredded newspaper
Dryer lint
Grass clippings
Rabbit droppings
Eggshells
Bread
Napkins

Doing this not only helps out your garden, but helps get rid of a lot of other stuff that normally just gets thrown in the trash. Save a few trash bags a year!

Thanks for checking out the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment