Tuesday, August 3, 2010

We know what you are and we don't like it.

Farmer.
Redneck.
Idiot.
Dirty.
Low-class.

I'm tired of it.  It hurts, to be honest.  I am tired of the negative judgment farmers get when they just want to do their job.  Maybe we farmers have a negative judgment about you!  Probably not though...we're nice people.

I'm always amazed by the responses & looks I get when people see things I am doing, usually when "prepping" a garden.

That's a lot of work, why would you do all that?
That was a nice lawn, why did you mess it up?
Why are you getting manure to put on your garden?  That's disgusting.
Why don't you just buy fertilizer?
Why why why why?

Aggravating.  The so-called "city-slickers" are always appalled when farmers scoff at them.  It's not to say the farmers are doing things the appropriate ways either - many farmers have disgraced the business of farming for years to come, and it will take effort on both sides to win the other over.  For example, let's run through 4 quick answers from the above questions:

1) Work is part of life.  Being lazy in life is one of the most wasteful things one could do with a life.
2) A "nice lawn" cracks me up.  I have realized Americans are so perverted in what we call "wealth" (which is not really wealth, but that's a different discussion altogether).  We bask in the greatness of our green lawn, which we pour hundreds or thousands of dollars into every year, to gain _______.  That's right.  Absolutely nothing.  Except praise and bragging.
3) Manure is smelly.  So how do you get rid of it?  You can let it sit by itself, where bacteria will soon enter it, cause diseases to run off when it rains, getting into the soil, plants, and eventually entering your environment in some way.  Or, you can take that manure, properly compost it so it heats up, kills bad bacteria, and place this compost on a garden bed, which will properly fertilize the garden as God wanted.
4) I don't know - would you eat meat that was 2 years old, but was treated with a chemical so it was "still edible?"


So maybe I'm standing on my soapbox now, screaming a little too loudly.  I am just tired of it though.  People do not like things different, simply because they do not like things different.  It's the dumbest argument I've ever heard, but people stand by it. 

So most of this above was for prepping a garden.  This is like, I dunno, 1/12th of what a farmer will normally do.  So I could go on, but I won't.  Instead, I will go to sleep and wake tomorrow, with this in the back of my mind.  I'll do what I do while people look on, and I'll do it with a proud but heavy heart.

3 comments:

  1. I remember the days of being the Maverick. My favorite part was going through the explanations about why and then they would say, "I know but.... WHY". Grrrr. Or people would say that store food is cheaper and just as healthy, ignorance is frustrating but I suggest taking baby steps with people. In the beginning my family didn't understand. We didn't argue facts with anyone, and eventually we even stopped explaining why... but eventually our actions spoke louder than words and others jumped in.
    Now it seems like everyone is excited to see whats going on with the homestead and our biggest adversaries now excitedly want to know about the animals and plants.

    Being a farmer is a huge responsibility. Not only do you have the responsibilities of your plants and animals but to be good teacher. Teaching others by example is simply the easiest way to kill two birds with one stone.

    And the stereotypes is exactly why I clean out my chicken coop and barn at least once a week. :)

    Watch out because I think this time next year you may be surprised by who is putting in a garden. ;)

    Great read Stephen and I can definitely relate!

    -Leigh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouraging words, Leigh.

    One of the most frustrating things I hear is when people say "but you don't live on a farm." Ha! If I lived on a farm, I would be judged for living on a farm. If I live in the city, I am judged for not living on a farm.

    What kind of silliness is that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What I hate the most are the people who *think* they get it, but don't. The ones who are so proud to buy industrial "organic" eggs at the store, but are put off by my truly natural eggs because *gasp!* they're NOT WASHED! Idiots. Just wait until they call you a horrible animal murder while chowing down on their CAFO burger. That's when you know you've arrived!

    ReplyDelete