Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Knee Deep in Horse Crap

And it was great.



Well, as great as being knee-deep in partially-composted horse crap can be, I guess. Let's just say it felt really good to finally be able to do work.  Sitting in a chair, or being limited in any way, drives me crazy.

Let me explain why Sunday was a good day.  I talked to a lady who lived not to far away, about coming out and scooping up some manure and loading it for my garden.  We set up a time, got directions to her house, and I loaded up the shovels and headed out.  The directions she gave me were somewhat confusing - I knew the area well, but I could have sworn there was nothing down there but miles and miles of pasture, just past where the freeway dead-ends.
    Well, after taking a left, then a right, I realized I was on a street normally hidden from the busy freeway.  Wouldn't you know it, the name of the street was the same as my last name!   A pleasant premonition, perhaps?
    So, I made my way to Ms. Audra's barn, where I found several horses staring at me.  I can only imagine what they were thinking... Ms. Audra told me where to find the "poop piles" and wow - they were huge.  So, I started scooping, and filled up the bed of my truck.  As I was leaving, she mentioned that next time I should call her a couple days in advance, and they would just use the tractor.  Awesome.
    Back at home, I started the tedious task of unloading the manure, wheeling it to the back yard, and piling it on the cardboard.  About halfway through this process, I realized I did not have enough cardboard.  This is quite the predicament - what do you do with 250 excess pounds of horse manure?  Well, I made a big pile.  That ought to piss off a few neighbors :-)
   So, this week I'll continue my trek for composting materials.  The garden is approximately 1/3 prepped for Spring.  With fall about to hit, I should be able to throw a TON of leaves/grass on top, and get it really going. 
   Next week, I'll be putting up a fence.  I'm still not happy about the idea of a T-post / Chicken wire fence, but it is what it is.  Maybe y'all have some ideas?  It's got to be: a) less than 3' tall, b) inexpensive, c) be accessible to enter and exit through some type of gate, and d) have enough clearance to get by (without snagging) gathering vegetables.

Hmmm, that's a thinker.

I couldn't think of a way to tie this in.  So, what the heck.  Here is a picture of some Charantais melons I have growing in the back

2 comments:

  1. UGH! Why did you have to remind me!?! I have to go get chicken poo for the garden... . You are so much more motivated. Way to get in there and shovel... when your done, you could always drop by and shovel chicken dung. lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol if you were close I totally would!

    Though I might have to charge a dozen eggs or so :-)

    ReplyDelete