Thursday, December 2, 2010

Back to it

On the list for the next couple weeks:

Need to set up a little area where I can start some seeds.  Last year, the tomato seeds and pepper seeds did not do much, at all.  That's why we have nurseries :)  But this year I have a secret weapon - Christmas Lights.  More on that later.

While the ground is nearly ready for the garden there's a few other things that need my attention.  I'm ordering 250 feet of soaker hose off of Amazon, which will be run all over the garden.  I also need to build some trellises for the beans, and build the tomato cages.  Whew that is going to be a lot of work, in the middle of a cold cold winter.

I need to order a LOT of seeds.  I have a list in the livingroom, but I'm sitting in bed typing this and don't feel like going to get it.  Here's what I know of:

Lettuce (Romaine, Iceberg), Corn (?), Potatoes (various kinds for backing, mashing, soups), Goliath Tomatoes, Carrots (Danvers probably), Peppers (Jalapeno, Bell, Habanero, Cayenne, Ancho/Pablano), Beans (Kentucky Wonder, Crowder, need to think of some more), Strawberries (Jewel), Cucumbers (A bush slicing variety and pickling variety).  Also I'll need a huge assortment of herbs/flowers which repel bad bugs, which include: Anise, Borage, Coriander, Carraway, Mint, Peppermint, Bee Balm, Onions, Nasturtiums, and about 15 others I can't think of at the moment.

And last, sadly, I still need more manure.  I'm liking this "lasagna method" - it appears to be working great.  I just wish I had easier access to it...and a tractor, lol.

2 comments:

  1. {{{BIG SMILE}}} Are you buying from seed savers exchange again? I was kind of disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably a couple, but not all... I'm getting the lettuce and peas from somewhere else for sure - they had a poor selection :-/

    ReplyDelete