Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Exercise

I had a doctor's appointment last Friday.  It was the first appointment I think I've ever had where nothing was really wrong - I just went for a general checkup.  That's not to say I'm not at the doctor often - if you know me, you know that I have many, many, injuries every year, and I practically have my own room at the local doctor's office and Emergency Room.

But this time, it was a little different.  I turned 25 the other day, and decided that I would rather know now if I need to change something in my lifestyle, rather than finding out 5 years from now, sitting in a hospital bed.  I'm not stupid; I know I don't eat the healthiest, so I figure my cholesterol is probably a little too high.  Luckily my blood pressure is perfect, I'm not overweight, and I try to be very active.  The thing that made me consider doing this was when some VERY bad storms hit while I was hunting one day.  The lightning was frequent and getting closer.  I decided sitting in a metal deer stand was probably not in my best interest, and took off running with my gear pack (it probably weighed about 20 pounds).  The distance from the stand to the truck was a tad over 1,000 feet, or about 1/5th of a mile.  I had to stop and rest on the way back to the truck - in doing so I was literally ashamed (not to mention scared out of my flipping mind from the lightning which had just hit 15 feet away from me).  It was such a helpless feeling...I was so fearful for my life in this crazy storm, but I had absolutely no energy, no drive, to push and keep running.

I brought this up to my doctor.  Sadly, I have been plagued by incredibly painful arches over the last year.  He suggested trying one more thing, then going to orthotics;  regardless, running a few miles like I used to is now out of the question.  I'll need to work out inside the house, but I am not the kind of person who enjoys getting on a treadmill for an hour and mindlessly walking 5 miles.  No thanks.  But there is one thing I am now intrigued by - perhaps you've heard of it.  It's called P90X, and from what I hear, it is a brutal kick in the groin.  It's going to really suck the first 2 weeks or so, that is guaranteed, but after that I'm hoping it will help my energy level rise, as well as help me to be more active.  I often think back to that day in November and feel how helpless I was, and I never want to feel that again.  There's a lot of things we as humans have no control over, but I feel I should at least be able to run for my life.

I'll admit, this is a weird post.  But you get what you pay for :-D

1 comment:

  1. LOL, All I can say is, good for you for looking to your physical health now. I didn't have that kind of sense at 25, but then, I did eat well and get a lot of good exercise, so I can only hope that's helping me now. :o

    ReplyDelete