Monday, January 18, 2010

Finally

The seeds are in!

From Blog Photos


So I gathered my Vermiculite, Compost (more on that in a minute), and Peat Moss. 1/3 to 1/3 to 1/3 ratio of each, and you have "Mel's Mix" - perfect soil. Add that into the pots, put a few seeds in each, and here's what we have:

From Blog Photos


The compost ordeal - well, I tried making a compost bin. It was mildly successful until I added all those Oak leaves. It probably will get going eventually, but I had to bite the bullet and buy ~100 lbs. of organic compost from the store. I bought all different kinds, then mixed them together - that way it's a good "overall" mix like in a regular compost bin.

Hopefully those seeds will start sprouting up in a couple weeks.

4 comments:

  1. Looks good! I cant wait for our gardening season to begin. What company did you go through for your seeds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seed Savers Exchange for most of them. I got a couple from local stores as well because Seed Savers didn't have those.

    I was a bit disappointed in Baker Creek - they never sent me a catalog :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here. I recieved catalogs from everyone but them. I still have a month or so, so I am holding out hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine didn't come either - I don't know why. I have had good experiences with them in the past, and I'll be planting some of their seed I have from last year, but it's too late for me to order anything new from them this year. I got a bunch from SSE this year too. And Southern Exposure - they're really good too. I still have to buy compost too (for now). Ours is cooking, but not done yet.

    ReplyDelete