Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Isn't it ironic?

It seems that when we were children, we hated school. Sure, some of us liked going to school, and some of us liked learning about school, but very few of us loved everything about it. There were some kids who could play a masterpiece on an instrument, or create a work of art, but they could care less about Math & Science. Some kids loved history and knew how to handle situations because of their research; but they couldn't tell you (nor would they even care about) which way to hold a violin. The engineering-type of kids loved math and science, and wanted to know everything about it; and maybe they lacked in English. I fell into the latter category. Want to know how many books I read from 7th grade - graduation? One. One book... That's one problem, I believe, with the approach to learning. I didn't really have a problem with reading - sure I read a tiny bit slower than others, but I could easily finish a book in the allotted time. I just didn't care, at all. I didn't care about some guy from the 30s and 40s telling us about some totalitarian regime. Now, I can't wait to read 1984, as I see what an impact it would have had.

Isn't it ironic that now, as an adult, I have read more than 8 times the number of books, in 2 months, that I read in SIX YEARS? Isn't it ironic that I am desperately trying to learn about so many things, now that I am no longer in school?

Whatever the topic may be (this month, I am very interested in studying the Mosaic Law dealing with Jesus Christ), it seems once I am interested in something, I stick my mind to it, and research until I can research no more. That's kind of why I'm here to begin with - lots of studying about homesteading, farming, composting, animal keeping, etc.

So maybe one day, when I have kids, and those books start coming home for them to read, I'll have an answer for "but why do I have to read that!?"

1 comment:

  1. I heard a parent of a home schooler, once talk of schools "dumbing down" students by one size fits all education. I have noticed when my daughter is in school she hates to do school work but over holidays and summer break she loves to study and learn. Maybe there is something to that!?
    Maybe as adults we search out information because we dont have someone telling us " you must learn this" and "you must learn it this way".
    I am a knowledge junkie too but far from it when I was in school.

    ReplyDelete