Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sleep in the Beds

The beds are finally complete (well, for the most part)!

I spent about 3 1/2 hours today, with approximately 2,000 pounds of peat moss, compost, and vermiculite, "making" soil today. I ache all over :)

Here's a picture of me preparing some soil. You can see all the bags of soil-materials (that isn't even all of it).

From Blog Photos


Instead of weedblocker, which is outrageously expensive, I just laid down a lot of newspaper under the beds. This will, over time, decompose into the ground. At that point, well, who knows...

Here's the completed beds. Yes, I know the tomato cages are upside down.

From Blog Photos


Last, I leave you with a pic of my complex rainwater collectors. See, the way it works is:

1. The bottom bucket fills up with water.
2. I put the lid on the bottom bucket.
3. I put the other bucket on top.
4. That bucket fills up with water.
5. I put the lid on that bucket.
6. No more rain collects in the buckets.

It's complex, I tell you.

From Blog Photos


In the next week or so we'll begin planting a few vegetables. Hopefully I'll still be able to move.

No comments:

Post a Comment