Thursday, April 8, 2010

Invasion

Now is when it gets interesting...




Days in the ground
Plant # Days
Lettuce 66
Potatoes 39
Carrots 39
Onions 39
Peas 25
Nasturtiums 25
Tomatoes 8
Bell Peppers 8
Rosemary 8
Green Beans 8
Cucumbers 8
Corn 4
Beans 4
Strawberries 4
Squash 0

After inspecting the plants today (I really should have been paying more attention over the last few days), I have a myriad of problems.  Several plants have holes eaten through the leaves - the potatoes and cowpeas are the worst off.  I'm not really sure what to do, but I had heard I can spray with a detergent/water combination.  Dang pests.

The lettuce is looking good still....well, one lettuce plant anyways.  I'm not sure what caused the drastic difference in production between all of them, but I know one of the causes was the sun/shade.

The tomatoes are still wilting, though I watered them quite a bit last night and this morning.  It's not even that hot!?  I'll keep giving them lots of water in the mornings before work to help them start perking back up, but so far it's not looking great.

The cucumbers and green beans are starting to sprout really well.  The nasturtiums are about 2-3" tall.  Everything else is doing pretty well, also.

Hopefully I can still save some of this :-\

2 comments:

  1. Diatomaceous Earth is an organic option to get rid of your pest problem. I am not sure how old your tomatoe plants are but if they are fairly young they should perk back up... watch out not to over water though otherwise you will get bloom rot or your fruit will split. Know matter which way the garden goes this year just chop it up to a learning experience and try again next year... it will be through trial and error to see what will work for you. Good Luck! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I hate to label it as a learning experience (because I am an extreme perfectionist) but it is what it is...just gotta do it.

    I have heard about that, I need to check it out. Yes, the tomato plants are fairly young, about 8 days in the ground. I think, after posting, I realized part of the problem. I removed the "black plastic sheeting 'mulch'" stuff I had put under it, because it appeared it was just burning up the plants. Hopefully that will help with air circulation.

    Thanks Leigh!

    ReplyDelete