Sunday, April 11, 2010

Woodlice, round 2

I have started watering the corn in the mornings, about 10-15 minutes, after removing the wheat straw.  It is working extremely well.  I already have most of the corn shoots up, and several bean shoots are there as well.  I never could find the squash seed packets, so I just bought some plants and planted them. 

I noticed more holes in the potato leaves, so I tried my yeast trick again.  Boil 2 packets of yeast in some water, and then pour it into tin cups which are submerged in the ground, with the lip at ground level.  The woodlice are attracted to it, go over, fall in, and die.  Well, I put those out, and my curiosity got the best of me last night at about 10:15 pm.  I took a flashlight, went and looked, and noticed 1 potato plant COVERED in woodlice, from top to bottom.  I managed to grab a lot of them off, and knock the rest off.  Those little pests.  So, it appears those are the major problem.

I went to Tara's house and got to see the meat chickens!  That was very cool, and after hearing how virtually silent they were, I wonder if anyone would really notice if I had them next year, if I kept them out of view of neighbors.  They might be able to smell them, though.  Hm...something to think about for the next 8 months or so.

I also started "restoring" the old window-panes I got at a flea market.  They'll be used late this year and early next year for cold frames.  They're looking pretty neat :-)

Other than that, not too much news.

No comments:

Post a Comment