Friday, April 2, 2010

Planting Day(s)

Like I said in the last post, I have been incredibly busy in the last week.  Heck, I'm incredibly busy right now (as I'm furiously typing this before heading off to church for Good Friday).

This past week, I was able to do a last till of Bed #3, and subsequently plant corn and beans.  I figured out I did not buy enough beans about halfway through...whoops.  I was also supposed to plant the squash in Bed #3, but I cannot find my packet of seeds, so that will be postponed until I can find them.



I also finished planting tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, green beans, rosemary, and marigolds in the Raised Bed boxes.  It's looking great so far!



Last, I went over to Bed #4, where I have a few potatoes.  I opened my bag of strawberry plants that I bought a while back.  Crap.  Maybe I should have opened the bag back then, and not now.  The "bulbs" were rubber-banded together, and they didn't look great.  I thought it would be seeds inside the bag, not actual bulbs in dirt. Heck, I haven't watered them or anything.  I'm not sure how that is going to turn out.



In addition to all that, I drilled a hole in my perfectly good rain barrel and installed a PVC pipe and spigot, so I could run water to the gardens.  The good news is, it will run water to the gardens.  The bad news is that it leaks.  I have it drying out right now so I can caulk it with some silicone later, but that probably won't do much.  Unfortunately that was my last good "tub," so I'll have to either get another one later, or just buy a bigger and better barrel.

Mulching:
Mulching is awesome, and extremely underrated.  That is all.

The land thing:
I figure I should go ahead and fill you all in on the land (that I acquired) situation.  I went to see my new baby cousin last Sunday, and while there I saw my grandpa - didn't know he was in town, but neat!  So he and grandma pull me aside and basically say "we are giving you and 2 of your cousins co-ownership of our land."  I stopped them; "but you don't even own that land, you're renting that from someone..." To which they replied, "no, no, our other land, down the road." 
I sat there for a second, slightly dumbfounded.  What were they talking about?  Well, as it turns out, my grandpa owns 11 acres down the road from his current property.  I don't ever recall him talking about it, but we talked about it A LOT on Sunday. This 11 acres has an Easement for a road, and a lake.  It used to have 7.5 cleared acres of farmland (wow, that is massive), but now it's all woods.  It might be a heck of an adventure, but I think I'm going to try and bring the property back to life.  At the very least, it will be fun to spend time in a place my grandfather spent many, many years ago.

That's all I can think of, for now.  So glad that Spring is finally here, but I underestimated how busy I would be.

3 comments:

  1. The silicone should work on your barrel. :) Is the land near where you live now? That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome and the garden looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! The silicone ended up working well; unfortunately we have received no rain since I did that, haha.

    Tara, the land is in Grapeland, where I'm from originally. Quite a bit of a drive, unfortunately. It does have lots of wildlife, including dear, so that will practically pay for itself if I were to harvest one or two deer per year and use the meat throughout the year!

    ReplyDelete