Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Thank you, ma'am

Today I made a significant step in my quest for homesteading. I made my first ever purchase at a feed store.


Okay, okay, maybe I am stretching that just a tad.

But in all seriousness, I needed to pick up some feed for the rabbit. Sometimes, the simplest (and cheapest) answers are right beneath our noses. I scoured the local pet stores, department stores, and even specialty stores for feed.

Department stores - extremely small quantities of feed at extremely high prices.
Pet stores - limited varieties of feed, and very high prices (averaged $40 / 25 lb. feed.

The local feed mill provided me a good brand, Purina, at an incredible price. $12.50 for a 50 lb. bag. Not only that, but the store attendant carried the bag to my truck and loaded it in the bed. My wife believes (and she may be right) that the feed store might just be my new favorite place. THEY HAVE EVERYTHING!!!

If one day I end up moving a tad south of here, but still close enough, I will be using this place for all my primary farm needs. You don't get polite, personal service at your local pet store, and you sure as heck don't get it at a department store.

So that was a good end to a rough few days. Katie's grandparents' house (up to the north in Arlington) was burglarized in the middle of the day. Not only that, but the next evening, Katie's school was burglarized. I expect a lot more burglaries (and for the criminals to become more bold) as the economy gets worse and Christmas gets closer.

Remember folks, if you don't have a firearm for self defense in your house, it could save your life. The teenagers who burglarized her grandparents house had a large butcher knife that they left in a chair in the living room. I truly thanked God that no one was there, as who knows what might have happened.

Last thing, a quick note for any of you with compost bins. Oak leaves are NOT "browns" but rather "greens". It turns out, that is what caused my compost pile to stall for several weeks. It seems to be back up and running after some fresh "ingredients."

Have a pleasant week!

1 comment:

  1. The feed store is my home away from home. I can count on them for all things homestead and then some. I called my feed store to ask them how I should handle the crazy stray wolf dog after my chickens. They also cut me some pretty awesome deals too. You just dont find that kind of service at a department stores.
    That is so scary you guys are dealing with all the crime. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete