Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Today is the day!

We're finally getting our furnace fixed!!

Also, I still haven't gotten 3 gifts. It wasn't that big of a deal because I had Wednesday to get them. But now, due to a funeral, I'll be gone Wednesday, and I'm not really sure when I'm going to get time to go get the gifts.


Now on to some actual homesteading stuff.

I've been looking at building a stone house, though that seems more and more unlikely with additional research, due to some environmental constraints. Did you know, however, that the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) allows you to "mine" all the rock you want, from public lands under their control? That's awesome for those of you who live out where there is plenty of rock. Want to know how much it is, here in N. Texas, for 1 ton of rock? $120. That's insane. If you wanted to do your entire house made of stone, you're looking at about $1800 in rocks, not to mention MANY trips to pick it up, because your truck can probably only hold about 1 ton. (Obviously that number changes due to the size of your house)

So, perhaps I will still use stone in our house to be built one day. It's just too awesome not to.

No comments:

Post a Comment