Saturday, March 13, 2010

Back to basics

I've been slacking on the blog lately...time to get talking about the "farm" again.

I have noticed that the rabbit (yes, he still has no name) produces a smaller size of "manure" during the winter. Just a weird interesting fact for those of you who want to use a rabbit for manure.

Potato leaves have sprouted as of this morning (13 days after planting), and are looking good. I am finding that the Red Noreland variety appear to be much quicker producing than the Yukon Gold variety. The onions are shooting up like gangbusters...I'm really astonished at how large they are, this quick after planting (It has been 13 days). I'm also fairly sure something is wrong with the lettuce seeds. They're not really growing, and Seed Savers Exchange (where I bought them) says they should be ready in 60 days from planting. It's been 40 already, and they're about 1/2" tall.

I bought a $4.50 Plant Light Bulb. I was speaking with a guy at work who grows ~250 peppers a year (he sells them), and his pepper plants, which were planted at the same time as mine, are HUGE. He stated he only uses these light bulbs from Home Depot, and they have worked well for years for him. So, I'll give it a shot. He also grows them in SOLO brand plastic cups. Pretty clever because he can write what type of plant it is on the cup, when selling.

Which brings me to one of my Goals for 2010 - I have drawn up a quick design to do a much better job at seed-starting, and I plan on having many more seeds next year. Perhaps I'll scan in some images/drawings of my plan. I have gotten really lazy about uploading photos, because it's such a tedious process.

3 comments:

  1. Thats funny about your rabbit poo. You should do a name contest similar to Tara when she was trying to decide which roo to butcher.

    How long did it take you to recieve your seeds from seed saver? I ordered mine about two weeks ago and not a sign of them yet. Is lettuce the only thing from them that you are having a hard time getting started? I ask because I ordered several organic seeds last year from gurneys and had little luck with getting them started.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, that's a great idea about the rabbit name!

    I can't remember exactly how long it took, but I know it was longer than they quoted :( . And even then, one thing was back-ordered so it took another month to get there.

    Yea, the lettuce is the only problem-plant. Perhaps next year I'll grow them in a cold-box or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it's been 40 days since you put your lettuce in, I think you might have put it in way too early. I only just put mine in two or three weeks ago. It's cold tolerant to a certain degree, but we had an unusually cold winter with lots of frost/snow - might have either done them in altogether or delayed sprouting.

    ReplyDelete