Friday, March 5, 2010

Tilling

I wish I had uploaded photos, but I'm really too tired to do so.

Tilling is a BLAST and a half. I borrowed a 26" wide tiller, cranked it up, and when I hit that throttle...dirt everywhere! However, I've always been told, "never buy a tiller, and never buy a chainsaw" (tongue in cheeck, of course) because they break often. After 5 minutes of turning clay into, well, smaller chunks of clay, I was ready to buy one. I took the tiller over to another bed, cranked it up again, and the pull-rope snapped. How ironic.

So, I spent the next 2 hours fixing it. Then it was dark, so I took it back to its owner. Oh well, the experience was fun, and maybe, just maybe, one of these days I will have enough land to buy a tiller.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you there. No more than what one would use a tiller I understand completely about not buying one. Put it off as long as possible. This year will be the third year in a row that we have borrowed... I do think that we will end up buying one eventually though.

    They actually make an inexpensive tiller head that goes on the end of a weed eater. We have one but for the size garden we have it is much too small. It is very handing for our raised beds and for forming mounds though.

    ReplyDelete