Monday, June 28, 2010

Pardon me, may I have some manure?

Last night, I spent a good part of 2 hours reading Joel Salatin's book You Can Farm.  What an amazing book.  I only read through a few chapters (I didn't buy the book but instead, read it in a Border's store, hehe), but I just find myself repeating "yes!" and "exactly!" to the opinionated paragraphs.  

Still need manure for the new garden.  I do have some funny news though.  Every year, our church's youth group goes on a Choir Mission trip where they do work and sing at churches in the area.  To raise money for these events, they have a "servant auction" fundraiser, where you can bid on them (making a donation to the trip) and they will come work for you.  So I bid on two high school guys to come help me shovel and till.  I plan on getting a lawn chair and several glasses of lemonade, hahaha.  But honestly, that is stinkin hard work, so I'll be helping till the 700+ sq. ft. garden and adding manure and soil amendments to it.  

As for now, I'm sitting in downtown Dallas at a technology conference, and it's time to go home.  I'm tired and have been sitting in seminars all day.  Time for a nap.     

1 comment:

  1. Stephen,
    Great idea getting Manure now. This year we waited and then it was too late because we needed to plant. The new part of the garden that has never had any on it isnt doing well but this fall we are loading down that sucker with Chicken Poo! :)
    -Leigh

    ReplyDelete