Sunday, June 13, 2010

Tomatoes!

I had heard from my grandpa several times about his friend George's amazing tomatoes.  Still though, it seemed to be a slight stretch of the imagination.  I mean, no tomatoes could be that big...

Well, I WAS WRONG!  I finally got to go out to George's house and check it out.  I took some pictures to show you all a size comparison.

Below is Katie standing next to the plants.  Katie is 5'3" to give you some perspective.




Tomatoes


Here is the 2 rows of his tomatoes, along with some peas and elephant garlic (on the left) that he grows.

Garlic and Tomatoes

So, some stats.  Some absolutely ridiculous stats:

Every other day, George goes out and picks the ripe tomatoes.  On average, he picks over 200 lbs. of tomatoes EVERY DAY!!

The tomato plants are, on average,  7 feet tall.  He waters them 13 hours out of the day (which he said raised his water bill $100 a month! lol).  The average size of these tomatoes is about the size of a softball.  They are big and they taste good!

So, what's the secret to growing these?  Well, I won't give all the details, but I will say this (and you can search the internet for the rest) - Epsom Salt.

We had a blast out at George's beautiful place.  When you think of the perfect garden, this comes pretty close.  He had (if I remember this correctly) 13 Peach trees, 13 Pecan trees, tomatoes, Elephant Garlic, patio tomatoes, peas, squash, and peppers.  Not to mention a beautiful house and property.

As for me, it's time to get to bed and enjoy the rest of my vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment