Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Finally, a post!

First things first

I have been crazy sick - finally I'm well enough to move around again and get to doing some work.

North Texas. Snow. Craziness.



We received about 1 foot of snow at our house. I really have no words for the insanity that ensued. Snowmen galore, all schools closed, a crazy adventure losing my phone for 4 days. We are just not used to this. We ended up breaking the all time 24-hour period snowfall record (in N. Texas) and the most snowfall in one day record. 12.4" and 11.5" respectively.

Bell Pepper Transplant.

As you may remember, I have 6 seed pots on top of the fridge. Pots 1, 2, and 3 are Cherry Roma sprouts, and Pots 4, 5, and 6 are Bell Pepper sprouts. Unfortunately, Pot 4 never sprouted anything, while all the others sprouted multiple plants. So, I did a little "Gardening Surgery" and carefully removed one Bell Pepper plant from Pot 5, and moved it to Pot 4. I used a large spoon and dug extra deep, making sure I pulled ALL of the plant and did not split the root. Hopefully it will survive in Pot 4, and we'll be back on track. (Pot 4 is front and center)



Birthday

Well, last Thursday was my birthday, and my wonderful wife got me an awesome gift. I got a water-bath canning (jarring) set. I cannot wait to use it, but that will be several months away. Still, very cool.



The last bit of bed-work

Today I spent about 30 minutes tilling the soil (read, breaking my back). I needed to get a bed set up for corn, so I settled on an 8' x 5' rectangle that was in the sun. Below are pictures of the 4 separate beds:

Beds 1 & 2 - main vegetable beds



Bed 3 - Primarily for Corn (the one I tilled today)



Bed 4 - Primarily for Strawberries (though I'm tempted to grow lettuce there as well)



I think I'll end the post there - information overload, you know. More to come tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. Ooh! DO grow lettuce with your strawberries! They should do well together, and there's just nothing like homegrown lettuce. I'm already dreaming about mine... mmm!

    ReplyDelete