Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A little worry in the air...

While out in the garden preparing and working yesterday, I noticed the bird house hanging on the fence (which I made last year). It got me to thinking...probably a bad thing.

I'm not necessarily growing these vegetables because I need to. I could simply go down the street and get some from the store. Heck, I could even buy organic vegetables (for a premium, of course). What if, this year, a flock of birds decides to attack and eat my veggies? What if a rabbit gets through the fence and gets fat and happy?

Not much, truthfully. Sure, I'd probably be pretty sad about it, and probably angry at the animals that did it, but I'm not going to be without food for the year. But, like I said, it makes me think "What if I was in a position of 'living off the land' and this happened?" I would be without food for the year - that scares me. You can't stand guard in your garden 24 hours a day, though.

So the solution to solving this problem? I don't know. I guess that's why gardening is a learning experience. Hopefully I'll learn before I'm outsmarted, though.

1 comment:

  1. Not all birds are bad for gardens. The Amish hang a long strand of bird house gourds over their gardens to invite certain birds in to eat the bugs. Crows are the real nuisance.

    As far as depending on the land for your food... when god closes a door he opens a window right? So instead of eating veggies you maybe eating a big fat rabbit! ;)

    ReplyDelete