Sunday, February 28, 2010

Planting a Pot Roast

One thing we really enjoy eating at our house is Pot Roast. A nice Chuck Tender Roast of Beef, cooked in the crock-pot for about 9 hours over carrots, onions, and red potatoes...you just can't beat it.

So when Katie and I gathered the vegetable seeds to go plant this afternoon, Katie mentioned "hey, we're planting a pot roast!" I hadn't thought of it that way, but she was right - we planted 32 carrot seeds, 18 onion sets, and 12 potato seeds.

The beef...well for the sake of completing the "meal" we'll use this: the cows next door escaped through their fence a couple weeks ago, so the owners came out and re-fenced the entire other side of the street, which is apparently theirs as well. They then loaded up the cattle, drove 12 feet, and unloaded them. Now we have a view of 5 cows out our front door! So neat!



Moo

Side note - I'm really, really tempted to ask them what they will be doing with that land; It sure would be nice to have some chickens within walking distance :D

The lettuce seeds seem to be coming up well, especially with the beautiful day we had yesterday.

I ended up planting twice the number of seed potatoes I had anticipated. I guess they just got the better of me - I couldn't throw away 14 perfectly good seed potatoes, so I planted 6 more in Bed #4. Here's a pretty cool shot of a seed potato - it's brilliant life, bursting at the seams and ready to grow.



Speaking of beds, I worked on Bed #3 by installing a $20 black plastic edging from Lowe's. That's no easy task, by the way. Hopefully I will be tilling it tomorrow, and dumping in a lot of peat moss and compost.

Last but not least, the farm animals :)

5 comments:

  1. I am loving the cows!
    Good idea on planting the potatoes. Last year we regretted not planting more. Did you get your carrots from seed savers exchange? I am thinking about getting my Danvers from them. I have yet to have any kind of luck with carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea I got the Carrots from Seed Savers. Wow, I had never heard of Danvers until I did a search - those look great! I ordered the St. Valery type.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cows are cracking me up! We have cows across the street from us too, but we're out in the boonies. It's much funnier to see cows surrounded by suburban houses. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should have seen the picture before I cropped off the pool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha! Nice "farm animals", by the way. Those dogs look like KILLERS! (I want to scratch their little faces!)

    ReplyDelete